Trendy at 50

The latest pop culture wisdom is that 50 is the new 40. I hope so, since I turned 50 today. Damn, that sounds old! At least I don’t feel old. :)

9 Responses to "Trendy at 50"

1. Gil Asakawa
    Gil Asakawa 10 years ago .Reply

Happy birthday, Steve! Remember when we used to sing along with Roger Daltrey, “Hope I die before I get old”? That was when we didn’t trust anyone over 30. Hah!

2. Gil Asakawa
    Gil Asakawa 10 years ago .Reply

Happy birthday, Steve! Remember when we used to sing along with Roger Daltrey, "Hope I die before I get old"? That was when we didn't trust anyone over 30. Hah!

3. Jemima Kiss
    Jemima Kiss 10 years ago .Reply

What was that line by Groucho Marx? “A man is as young as the woman…”

You get the picture! Happy Birthday Steve. Have a great time.

4. Jemima Kiss
    Jemima Kiss 10 years ago .Reply

What was that line by Groucho Marx? "A man is as young as the woman…" You get the picture! Happy Birthday Steve. Have a great time.

… he feels.

Thanks, Jemima. I couldn’t remember the line so had to Google it. Evidence of my age, apparently. :)

… he feels. Thanks, Jemima. I couldn't remember the line so had to Google it. Evidence of my age, apparently. :)

7. Steve Klein
    Steve Klein 10 years ago .Reply

As long as 60 is the new 50, then I’m OK. Be happy you’re only “40.”
    Hope it was happy. I know you had snow!

8. Steve Klein
    Steve Klein 10 years ago .Reply

As long as 60 is the new 50, then I'm OK. Be happy you're only "40." Hope it was happy. I know you had snow!

9. Fabrice Florin
    Fabrice Florin 9 years ago .Reply

Steve, 3.9 is a really good rating for NewsTrust, so pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

I wish there was a way to filter the news without having to rate it for quality, but it\'s the most reliable method we\'ve found so far – computers need numeric data to sort with, and the popularity measurements used by Google and Digg are simply not effective indicators of quality in their current form.

I understand how awkward it must feel to have your work evaluated in this way, but note that we try really hard to get our reviewers to rate the actual work product, not the individual. And journalists are welcome to rate our reviews as well, which can dramatically affect our own member levels. You can even rate your own work, as long as you disclose in your comments that you are the author.

The intent is to keep everyone honest by making everything transparent – including editorial filtering processes that used to take place behind closed doors. So far, most journalists we\'ve talked to about this project are supportive of our overall mission, but some get a bit nervous when their work gets evaluated by the public. I hope that over time, this will become less of an issue, as long as we\'re careful in designing systems that reward fairness and respect from our reviewers.

Thanks again for your outstanding coverage of our initiative — and for participating in our experiment.

All the best,