It didn’t take long: Saddam hanging video

As expected, there’s already video of Saddam’s hanging — I mean the actual death — online. A blog reader pointed me to this. It looks like someone had a video camera phone with them and surreptitiously shot the few minutes before the actual hanging, because the camera moves around a lot and after the floor drops and Saddam falls, there’s a period of black and lots of voices before the camera manages to focus again on his face and broken neck.

A check on Youtube turns up only images of Saddam up to the point of having the noose put around his neck — the same images as seen on TV, provided by Iraqi state television, which don’t include the actual point of death.

As I’ve said before, mainstream news editors can no longer expect to be the sole arbiters of taste when it comes to what the public sees in events like this. The full gruesome reality is available online and likely will be from now on when it comes to big news stories. The camera cell phone truly changes everything, because they’re now everywhere, and are easily concealed. (I don’t know that this was a cell phone video, but it sure looks like it.)

While someone alerted me to the video, it isn’t hard for anyone to find. A quick search on Technorati turns it up, although using Google it’s a bit trickier. It takes only the smallest amount of Internet savvy to find the graphic video of Saddam’s moment of death.

UPDATE: The link to the hanging video above was removed. However, do a Technorati search as I describe above and it’s easy to find.

28 Responses to "It didn’t take long: Saddam hanging video"

1. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

Steve — the movie has been removed. I just checked.

– Amy Gahran

2. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

Steve — the movie has been removed. I just checked. – Amy Gahran

3. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

– Amy

4. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

OK, found it again, on Google video. Blogged it on Tidbits, and linked back to your post. Thanks for the tip, Steve! http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&a… – Amy

5. […] Once the the cameraphone video was released, Outing wrote in a second post: Mainstream news editors can no longer expect to be the sole arbiters of taste when it comes to what the public sees in events like this. The full gruesome reality is available online and likely will be from now on when it comes to big news stories. […]

6. Oneslowoutlaw
    Oneslowoutlaw 10 years ago .Reply

I think it was the one of the greatest videos ever released. You know if the justice system did that here in the United States there would a lot less crimes comitted. I posted a link to the video if anyone cars to watch it .

7. Oneslowoutlaw
    Oneslowoutlaw 10 years ago .Reply

8. Tim
    Tim 10 years ago .Reply

Are we the worlds policeman? We should not have gotten mixed up in that countrys affairs anyways. Libia’s leader, Iran plus countless others have done the same things to their people, including ours. Maybe China should invade us, declare our govt bad, hang everyone and enforce the use of chopsticks and their culture on us.

9. Tim
    Tim 10 years ago .Reply

Are we the worlds policeman? We should not have gotten mixed up in that countrys affairs anyways. Libia's leader, Iran plus countless others have done the same things to their people, including ours. Maybe China should invade us, declare our govt bad, hang everyone and enforce the use of chopsticks and their culture on us.

10. John
    John 10 years ago .Reply

I agree Tim. Isn’t there some other countries leader having genocide on their people right now but we are ignoring it? So we pick and choose which countries we should beat up on and who we will look the other way? Arrogance is the word for our govt. We are just like the Roman empire and are nearing the fall. Of course our arrogance won’t let us think that way.

11. John
    John 10 years ago .Reply

I agree Tim. Isn't there some other countries leader having genocide on their people right now but we are ignoring it? So we pick and choose which countries we should beat up on and who we will look the other way? Arrogance is the word for our govt. We are just like the Roman empire and are nearing the fall. Of course our arrogance won't let us think that way.

12. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

Tim and John,
    I agree with you for the most part. I have been to different parts of the world and our way of life is not for every country in the world, and for the USA to say your way of life is not right, that defeats the whole purpose of my idea of democracy. If the people in those countries don’t like the way things are, they can solve it the way the my ancestors did in 1776.

13. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

Tim and John, I agree with you for the most part. I have been to different parts of the world and our way of life is not for every country in the world, and for the USA to say your way of life is not right, that defeats the whole purpose of my idea of democracy. If the people in those countries don't like the way things are, they can solve it the way the my ancestors did in 1776. However, on the other hand, if my family, my neighbors, my country is threatened in any way (9/11/2001) I believe we have a right to defend ourselves even if that means invading a country and overthrowing its leaders to do it. I believe that what has happened since 9/11 has been botched and the main goal of defending ourselves went by the wayside by a cowboy that is too stubborn to admit that even though he is the decider, and he gets to decide on what needs to be decided, his decisions have gotten offtrack of defending us. In fact, it is my belief that he has made it a more dangerous world for us through most of those decisons.

14. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

ooops, meant to say THEIR way of life in the 3RD line.

15. Cindy
    Cindy 10 years ago .Reply

What did IRAQ have to do with 911 Dixie? It seems that the USA is misguided and for invading this country on that reason we should hang our leaders. We are very hypocritical to say the least.

16. brian
    brian 10 years ago .Reply

4. Oneslowoutlaw – January 2, 2007 “I posted a link to the video if anyone cars to watch it”.

I don’t see what personal transports choices have to do with this, unless you are referring to oil…?

17. brian
    brian 10 years ago .Reply

4. Oneslowoutlaw – January 2, 2007 "I posted a link to the video if anyone cars to watch it". I don't see what personal transports choices have to do with this, unless you are referring to oil…?

18. IRAQIAN
    IRAQIAN 10 years ago .Reply

here is the video :

thank’s outlaw

19. IRAQIAN
    IRAQIAN 10 years ago .Reply

here is the video : http://www.chaaban.info/2007/01/02/saddam-hussein… thank's outlaw

20. Malek
    Malek 10 years ago .Reply

here is the video :

thank’s chaar

21. Malek
    Malek 10 years ago .Reply

22. pete
    pete 10 years ago .Reply

should it be dangerous to watch this video?

23. Bob Price
    Bob Price 10 years ago .Reply

This is stupid

24. Bob Price
    Bob Price 10 years ago .Reply

This is stupid

25. Malek
    Malek 10 years ago .Reply

now why, sooner or later everyone will die this way or another….

26. Malek
    Malek 10 years ago .Reply

now why, sooner or later everyone will die this way or another…. http://www.chaar.ca

27. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

Cindy,
    I should have been more specific. I didn’t mean to give the impression that I thought that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11.

28. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

Cindy, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11. My thoughts were that the USA should have hunted down Osama and his cohorts where ever they were on this earth. And if the Taliban goverment (or any other government) were sheltering him, they should have the same status as Osama.