Me and my (little) Crackberry

Blackberry PearlI’ve wanted smart-phone functionality for a long time, but resisted buying one because I couldn’t deal with carrying a brick around with me all the time. So I’ve stuck with small, lesser-function phones. Well, finally, I’ve found a smartphone that works for me! The Blackberry Pearl.

This candy-bar style phone is actually smaller and lighter than my last phone, but is a full-function PDA. I know many of you have been using Treo’s, Blackberries or other smart-phones for a long time. But I’m excited to finally have my e-mail in easily digestible form wherever I am!

And now I’m at least a little better equipped to snap photos with my phone; it’s got a 1.3-megapixel camera, whereas photos from my old phone were crap. It’s about time that the standard cameras in phones got a bit more reasonable, which is a good thing for eyewitness journalism. I toyed with getting a 3.2-megapixel camera phone, but was swayed by the PDA functionality of the Blackberry.

13 Responses to "Me and my (little) Crackberry"

1. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

How much was this, Steve — if you don’t mind me asking. Also, have you used it much for web access, feed subscriptions, and IMing? What OS does it use?

– Amy Gahran

2. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

How much was this, Steve — if you don't mind me asking. Also, have you used it much for web access, feed subscriptions, and IMing? What OS does it use? – Amy Gahran

3. Anthony Moor
    Anthony Moor 10 years ago .Reply

And Steve, does it connect with Outlook contacts like a Treo?

Amy: Cingular sells it for $200 with a 2-year contract. Factor in $30/month extra for the unlimited data package. So far I’m using it for e-mail, Google Calendar, occasional web access … I’m really impressed! Great phone. The keypad is qwerty but each key has 2 letters — it’s not like the bigger Blackberries with a qwerty keypad and a key for every letter. But it’s still way faster to use than my old numerical keypad. OS: same as all Blackberries.

Anthony: I’m not sure. I use Gmail and easily got it configured for that, so I didn’t look into Outlook. (I assume so.)

Amy: Cingular sells it for $200 with a 2-year contract. Factor in $30/month extra for the unlimited data package. So far I'm using it for e-mail, Google Calendar, occasional web access … I'm really impressed! Great phone. The keypad is qwerty but each key has 2 letters — it's not like the bigger Blackberries with a qwerty keypad and a key for every letter. But it's still way faster to use than my old numerical keypad. OS: same as all Blackberries. Anthony: I'm not sure. I use Gmail and easily got it configured for that, so I didn't look into Outlook. (I assume so.)

6. Charlie Meyerson
    Charlie Meyerson 10 years ago .Reply

Steve, welcome to BlackBerrys Anonymous.

For a sampling of other neat stuff you can do with these devices…

7. Charlie Meyerson
    Charlie Meyerson 10 years ago .Reply

Steve, welcome to BlackBerrys Anonymous. For a sampling of other neat stuff you can do with these devices… http://www.chicagotribune.com/blackberry

8. L Snow
    L Snow 10 years ago .Reply

What about folks who use Verizon instead of Cingular?

9. Matt
    Matt 10 years ago .Reply

By the way, Steve, I’ve had my Pearl for a month now, and I’m only today trying out one of my favorite features — I’m posting this from my laptop, using my Pearl as a high-speed modem. No more wondering whether the hotel offers internet, no more canvassing for free wifi spots, just plug in the phone and we’re off. I followed the instructions here, and had next-to-no trouble. The Internet seems a little more magical when I’m surfing it at my (very low-tech, decidedly non-Internet-having) aunt’s house, which might begin to explain why I’m still Web-surfing at 2 a.m. on Christmas morning. Or maybe not.

10. Matt
    Matt 10 years ago .Reply

By the way, Steve, I've had my Pearl for a month now, and I'm only today trying out one of my favorite features — I'm posting this from my laptop, using my Pearl as a high-speed modem. No more wondering whether the hotel offers internet, no more canvassing for free wifi spots, just plug in the phone and we're off. I followed the instructions <a href="http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-guides…rel="nofollow">here</a>, and had next-to-no trouble. The Internet seems a little more magical when I'm surfing it at my (very low-tech, decidedly non-Internet-having) aunt's house, which might begin to explain why I'm still Web-surfing at 2 a.m. on Christmas morning. Or maybe not.

11. […] has put together a useful to journalists and writers;Lisa () Williams did a with citizen journalists, mostly useful for inspiration, but I particularly enjoyed with Travis Henry of YourHub.com.When you absolutely positively have to stay connected by voice and phone, Amy Gahran of Poynter wrote about smart phones and former Poynter-commentator Steve Outing sang the praises of his Blackberry Pearl. […]

12. Logan
    Logan 10 years ago .Reply

L Snow,

13. Logan
    Logan 10 years ago .Reply

L Snow, There are rumors that Verizon Wireless with have the Pearl come May, 2007 but this has not been confirmed yet. I am really hoping that Verizon is able to pick up the pearl!