Goodbye to the home office life

Today is a personally significant one. You see, I’m moving out of my home office into a real office for the first time since December 1993! That was when I left my last “traditional” office job (at the San Francisco Chronicle). The only other time I spent in an actual office was on my several-time-a-year, week-long trips to Florida during the several years that I worked for the Poynter Institute. (Poynter let me work mostly from my home in Colorado.)

But today my company, the Enthusiast Group, moves into some sublease space just off Boulder’s Pearl Street Mall (and across the street from another office building I worked in many years ago, that of the Boulder Daily Camera).

While EG remains a small enterprise, we have graduated to the founders needing more time together in the same place. Home offices are great, but sometimes even today’s technology isn’t enough to keep the lines of communication open enough to grow a company properly.

Yeah, I’ll miss my 50-foot commute, for sure. On the other hand, our new digs feature lots of cool restaurants just out the door, plus a spectacular view of Boulder’s Flatirons and the mountains. It’ll be OK.

7 Responses to "Goodbye to the home office life"

1. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

Steve — you’re now just a few blocks from Dave Taylor. I’m thinking: LUNCH!

– Amy Gahran

2. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

Steve — you're now just a few blocks from Dave Taylor. I'm thinking: LUNCH! – Amy Gahran

3. Joel Fugazzotto
    Joel Fugazzotto 10 years ago .Reply

Congrats to both you and Derek on the Enthusiast Group’s new office space!

4. Joel Fugazzotto
    Joel Fugazzotto 10 years ago .Reply

Congrats to both you and Derek on the Enthusiast Group's new office space!

5. Howard Owens
    Howard Owens 10 years ago .Reply

That’s a significant step for your company. Congratulations. As a former home-office, small business owner … I very much appreciate what a big deal this is.

6. Howard Owens
    Howard Owens 10 years ago .Reply

That's a significant step for your company. Congratulations. As a former home-office, small business owner … I very much appreciate what a big deal this is.

7. Mike Strand
    Mike Strand 10 years ago .Reply

I first heard this, or something like it, several weeks ago; it\'s not surprising, really. The correlation seems obvious — one must first understand the \'real\' news before understanding the \'fake\' news and why it\'s funny.