E&P column: Nostalgic new-media conversations

My July column for Editor & Publisher Online has been published: “Online-News: Have We Come Far Enough?

I pored through a bunch of discussions going on 10 years ago on the Online-News industry discussion list (which I founded back in 1994 and is now operated by the Poynter Institute). It’s fun to see what were the top issues for the new-media industry back then — and interesting to see that some of the same problems exist today.

15 Responses to "E&P column: Nostalgic new-media conversations"

1. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

Steve — the movie has been removed. I just checked.

– Amy Gahran

2. Amy Gahran
    Amy Gahran 10 years ago .Reply

OK, found it again, on Google video. Blogged it on Tidbits, and linked back to your post. Thanks for the tip, Steve!

“>http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&a…
    – Amy

3. Oneslowoutlaw
    Oneslowoutlaw 10 years ago .Reply

I think it was the one of the greatest videos ever released. You know if the justice system did that here in the United States there would a lot less crimes comitted. I posted a link to the video if anyone cars to watch it .

4. Tim
    Tim 10 years ago .Reply

Are we the worlds policeman? We should not have gotten mixed up in that countrys affairs anyways. Libia\'s leader, Iran plus countless others have done the same things to their people, including ours. Maybe China should invade us, declare our govt bad, hang everyone and enforce the use of chopsticks and their culture on us.

5. John
    John 10 years ago .Reply

I agree Tim. Isn\'t there some other countries leader having genocide on their people right now but we are ignoring it? So we pick and choose which countries we should beat up on and who we will look the other way? Arrogance is the word for our govt. We are just like the Roman empire and are nearing the fall. Of course our arrogance won\'t let us think that way.

6. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

Tim and John,
    I agree with you for the most part. I have been to different parts of the world and our way of life is not for every country in the world, and for the USA to say your way of life is not right, that defeats the whole purpose of my idea of democracy. If the people in those countries don\'t like the way things are, they can solve it the way the my ancestors did in 1776.
    However, on the other hand, if my family, my neighbors, my country is threatened in any way (9/11/2001) I believe we have a right to defend ourselves even if that means invading a country and overthrowing its leaders to do it.
    I believe that what has happened since 9/11 has been botched and the main goal of defending ourselves went by the wayside by a cowboy that is too stubborn to admit that even though he is the decider, and he gets to decide on what needs to be decided, his decisions have gotten offtrack of defending us. In fact, it is my belief that he has made it a more dangerous world for us through most of those decisons.

7. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

ooops, meant to say THEIR way of life in the 3RD line.

8. Cindy
    Cindy 10 years ago .Reply

What did IRAQ have to do with 911 Dixie? It seems that the USA is misguided and for invading this country on that reason we should hang our leaders. We are very hypocritical to say the least.

9. brian
    brian 10 years ago .Reply

4. Oneslowoutlaw – January 2, 2007 \"I posted a link to the video if anyone cars to watch it\".

I don\'t see what personal transports choices have to do with this, unless you are referring to oil…?

10. IRAQIAN
    IRAQIAN 10 years ago .Reply

here is the video :

“>http://www.chaaban.info/2007/01/02/saddam-hussein…
    thank\'s outlaw

11. Malek
    Malek 10 years ago .Reply

here is the video :

“>http://www.chaaban.info/2007/01/02/saddam-hussein…
    thank’s chaar

12. pete
    pete 10 years ago .Reply

should it be dangerous to watch this video?

13. Bob Price
    Bob Price 10 years ago .Reply

This is stupid

14. Malek
    Malek 10 years ago .Reply

now why, sooner or later everyone will die this way or another….

15. Dixie
    Dixie 10 years ago .Reply

Cindy,
    I should have been more specific. I didn\'t mean to give the impression that I thought that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11.
    My thoughts were that the USA should have hunted down Osama and his cohorts where ever they were on this earth. And if the Taliban goverment (or any other government) were sheltering him, they should have the same status as Osama.